PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 12:36
Killface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In its entirety, yes. I don't think anyone is suggesting it will be cancelled out right; but there is a very real threat of the B & C getting cancelled
I'll concede there is a question mark on the C because of the tail hook issues, but the B is off probation and has no alternative, unless boeing creates a hovering hornet. It will also be built in larger numbers than the C. They could have canceled the B when it was having its issues back in 2009 2010. but they hung with it instead.

and the A being significantly reduced in number, regardless of whether the marines already have seven in service. Do you honestly think the programme will be unaffected if the sequester is simply replaced by the same level of normal budget cuts??
It will be about what is prioritized and what isn't. for example getting the F-22 meant halving the b-52 fleet. I still think it will be affected but to the point where certain variants are getting the axe won't happen. plus its going to be in production for a long time, the economy may be improved in 2025, or the aircraft being in service and theoretically working as advertised might expand the desire for more. which is precisely what happened with the F-22. within ten years it went from "how much!?" to "how many more can we get?"

If the tail hook works its check mate for the f-35. I'm not trying to advocate one way or other or sell the F-35 as the second coming of jesus, all I am trying to show is how entrenched it is. I have been reading about how the jsf is on the verge of cancellation for years now. or certain variants therein, and its not happening. governments have invested billions and they are building more of every variant every year. Its getting bigger not smaller.