PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 11:47
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Chug - so what happens when the MAA and MAAIB are made independent? I doubt either would be willing to allow an un-airworthy aircraft to fly, and thus would ground them. How long will it take to prove the airworthiness of each fleet, especially as we haven't been doing it for so long, and we've fired everyone who knows how to do it.

Lets say it takes 12 months to sort the paperwork out, make the necessary amendments to aircraft, etc etc. Can the RAF cope with each Fleet out of service for that long? Indeed, could the RAF produce it's output with each Fleet out of service for 1 month? Where is the point when aircrew and maintainer currency can no longer be maintained? At point does the PM say, actually, we've done without the RAF's capabilities in this area for so long, why am I paying for them to come back? You could see a point where the Merlin, Wildcat and Apache continue to fly, alongside the F-35, none of which require the RAF's input.

The other option is for the MAA to allow an un-airworthy aircraft to fly, having acknowledged it's status. I wouldn't wish to be the Chief MAA to have that happen on my books. Indeed, can you point to the CAA or FAA allowing a known un-airworthy aircraft continuing to fly?

Whilst you and tuc have been fantastic in explaining how we got here, the pair of you are pretty poor at explaining what happens next, and what the second and third order consequences are. And that, frankly, is far more pertinent to the discussion.

Beware perfect being the enemy of good enough.