PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 08:50
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
TOFO:
Maybe because in the end that is all you are worth.
It is not about what I am worth, which I agree is very little. It is what needless loss of life is worth, past, present, and future.

ATG:
You going to tell the PM that the RAF is closing, or shall I?
Truculence isn't the answer to this crisis for the RAF. The answer is for the RAF to face up to it full square, as it has done to others in its history. It has to come out from behind the false security of the Haddon Cave Report and confront what was done to its airworthiness by its own VSOs from the late 1980s and by which it is still compromised. To avoid a recurrence it must ensure that the MAA and MAAIB are independent of the MOD and of each other, and leave them to do their work. That will be to ensure the future capability of the RAF is enhanced rather than the defeatist stance that you suggest.

TT2. Of course the point of Military Aviation is to fly hard. That is why you need aircraft capable of doing just that in a hostile environment. The aircraft involved in the fatal accidents that caused the 62 deaths mentioned by TOFO were not, because their airworthiness had not been assured by the UK Military Airworthiness Authority, aka the MOD.

BTW, TOFO you miss the point entirely. The causes of some of those accidents may well be known only unto God, if for no other reason that their BoIs were not as fully informed as we are now, about the 'ARTs, about Test Pilot reservations, be they at BD or ODH, or about interference in process from above. They all were without doubt though airworthiness related. May I remind you that the long running purpose of any Air Accident Investigator is to determine cause, be it Chinook's or whatever. That is why an investigator must be completely independent of any attempts to obstruct it in that.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 26th Jun 2013 at 09:29.