PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 07:53
TT2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly hard.

In these PC days I think that some folks forget the fact that these are military aircraft and are supposed to be flown hard. Accidents will happen, pilots fly into the terrain, unforseen fatigue failures occur, software glitches only come to light when there is a system crash...........It's the nature of the game and that should be remembered. If it was all H&S then there would be no direct action to minimise a threat.

I well remember doing a couple of 'swop rides' on Nimrods out of Kinloss and sitting at an observer's window up front and watching the wingtips bouncing up and down whilst pulling 2 G at low level. I wondered even then as a baby Shack pilot what the fatigue life would be, let alone the corrosion life that low over the sea. (I was told me that the wingtip would move 3.5 feet in upwards and downwards plane, 7 feet in all - is that a fact?). Weird, being in a plastic aeroplane.

Had a ride in a Jaguar once - utterly boring once the thing finally became airborne until we hit the low level routing through the Highlands. Then it became scary.............I am sure that Fl Lt X took great delight in trying to scare me ****less. More or less succeeded.

But that's the point - when you fly aircraft hard there will be accidents. Fact. Just like racing : Cars or motorbikes. There is an element of risk and that is probably what attracts us to it in all honesty.