PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VORs & Victor airways in FAA sectionals
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 07:03
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on it. When tracking VOR to VOR or VOR to SOMEWHERE I don't think I have ever calculated a magnetic heading to steer. I simply look at the chart and see which radial I need. Going VOR to VOR when I hit VOR A I want to head outbound on Radial ABC, set the CDI and then changeover to VOR B and track inbound on Radial DEF (which is actually Radial ABC but TO the VOR). If I wanted to fix my position from two VORs then I'd use the RADIALS and the rose on the chart, centre the needles, draw my lines and that is it. If I want to go from VOR to SOMEWHERE I'll draw a line from the VOR and see which radial SOMEWHERE lies on, then head outbound on that radial doing whatever it takes to keep the needle centered.

As mentioned the Mag track of a victor airway is irrelevant in practical terms. You want to centre the needles on the desired radial and keep them centered. Ground tracks and hence charts are referenced True North so magnetic track is not relevant. On an airway you will have wind correction so you might be O/B on the 270R but actually have a heading of 255M.

Last edited by englishal; 26th Jun 2013 at 07:06.