PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Having more than one instructor for PPL
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2013, 23:58
FlyingKiwi_73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 3 instructors (a few others dipped in and out), all taught me different things and made my education very well rounded.

Instructor 1 (CFI) Taught me some bush flying skills and some very practical skills about what to do when faced with real issues, i remember one great lesson where we used clouds as mountains and tried to out climb them...i.e. part of my mountain flying training (which at the time i got my license was not officially part of the curriculum) ... a very sobering lesson. He taught me practical flying..ie. yes this is what the POH or book says says but if you're in the poo you should be doing this. basically allot of really good instruction on how to fly that's not in any manual or syllabus

Instructor 2 (The professional), fly at 1500ft not 1570ft, rate 1 turns are rate 1 turns, your RT is precise, good position reports. keep calm, manage the aircraft. he taught me how to fly well.

Instructor 3 (Newly Minted CPL and C Cat), had allot of local knowledge which helped immensely and with out his guidance i would not have got the exam marks i did, he really helped me with informal ground school tuition, he was the reason i even passed the Nav exam let alone got over 90%

I was lucky to learn with these guys. I think more than one instructor helps round a new pilot, ok if they have directly contradictory styles then that could be an issue.

FK