PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mirror exposes deadly helicopter peril! (Merged)
Old 1st Mar 2003, 16:55
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands up anyone who's surprised there's not a single word in the Mirror rag today quoting what either the owner of BHH or the pilot said. And not a word from anyone giving the other side of the argument.
(No, of course I didn't buy it.)

Just patting themselves on the back for exposing this "FLIGHT SECURITY BREACH" - their words not mine - saying Transport Secretary Alistair Darling set up an inquiry after Daily Mirror journalists hired a helicopter without identity checks and hovered unchallenged over Parliament.

"hired a helicopter without ID checks?
What are we meant to do when we are given a name?
Are we to ask Special Branch or the Anti Terrorist Squad to run a check? And would they if we asked?
"hovered unchallenged over Parliament"
She's still repeating that lie, I see - but at least she's dropped the five minutes bit.

Mirror says "Government sources indicated security will be tightened for helicopter and light aircraft flights."
Funny how these sources don't have names. And if "government sources" did say such a thing, it's worrying they are so influenced by a tabloid with falling sales.

"The move comes amid demands for action to secure the skies over Britain's most important buildings."
Really? Demands by whom?
Ah - don't panic, "Liberal Democrat MPs". (I was a bit worried there for a moment ) who are also calling for (get this) "armed police or troops to be stationed on rooftops to protect sensitive buildings from an air attack.

The Transport Department said: "We have discussed restricting flights over Central London." Shame whoever said that (if anyone did) the spokesman didn't add 'and we rejected it as unnecessary'.

Let's hope they'll stand by their original sensible decision, and don't change their minds in response to this scare-mongering drivel from a tabloid.

Last edited by Heliport; 1st Mar 2003 at 18:49.