PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Su-35S at Le Bourget -WOW!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2013, 09:33
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Henra

I'm not going to bother to go into a point by point reply, but see you noted I said that many Russian/Soviet aircraft have powerful radars. As to how the flanker E sees (easily) types including VLO's at long range, how to western types see out to long range? The Flanker E is not the only aircraft in the sky, and for a couple of decades data sharing and AWACS have been pretty good at finding baddies.
You know the larger dish of the flanker will be useful, so should note the local AWACS dish will also be pretty good at pointing out VLO's to the flanker, hence it can see them. Coming from a green background, I'm also very aware that NO western aircraft will leave its airfield un reported in time of conflict. The exact route or target may not be obvious, but this technique has been more widely used and refined since the nineties.

Thirty years ago stealth gave a massive advantage, but modern defences react MUCH more speedily, and I'm sure you know that stealth only offers protection at long range these days. I remember how crest fallen some special forces soldiers were when they were told their top secret HAHO drop was all seen on radar from some distance.........and that was twenty years ago. They were convinced they were invisible, as did the USAF over Serbia in F117's.

Stealth may well be the future, but stealth missiles will need to be a major part of that IMHO.