PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 24th Jun 2013, 20:05
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid gold.

Ventus – well done, a dry, informative but satisfying find, to dip into at leisure. It's nice to know there are some clever folk, dedicated to the task, not afraid to admit mistakes and prepared to learn from making them. It's most refreshing to find a group taking as much pleasure from discovering their own mistakes as from 'solving' a puzzle. Most satisfactory.

There has been some waffle and hot air expended on 'how' to set policy etc. etc But the paragraph below saves a lot time by clearly defining for the ATSB what they need to do. Retrospectively would be a good place to start, say from Lockhart onwards. Include 'civil' in the ARL remit, throw them a few more dollars and we can all go home. It has my vote...

The purpose of accident investigation is to discover the cause in order that appropriate corrective measures can be implemented in a timely manner, thus preventing any recurrence. These objectives are not always achieved and this report contains several examples where accidents went on recurring despite the best efforts of the ARL investigators. However, over the past fifty years, a remarkably high standard has been maintained which will withstand comparison with the best overseas. The important thing is to maintain continuity, to learn from past mistakes and to strive for improvement.
Thing annoys me more than anything is we do have world class (and better) people at the coal face, we have the budget and enough (almost) toys to do a proper job, so why in all the hells are we letting mid level bean counters and bum wipers run the show? Why do we allow the snakes and weasels to spend so much time money to cover the ministerial arse with excuses (plausible deniability) when a quarter of that energy and intellect could make our "ATSB" shine? Beats me, but I want dibs Mi-Beakers train set when he's gone...

PS> There was only ever one true consulting detective, dear old dotty Agatha 'borrowed' a fair bit from Arthur's good work.

“It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.”

Last edited by Kharon; 24th Jun 2013 at 20:20. Reason: Nice 1 - 4 Dogs - Copyright waived.