PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - women pilots in africa
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2013, 16:59
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress code

With some first hand knowledge I can confirm that most lady pilots I have met wear trousers.... Spreading ones legs around a control column, leaping up and down from ladders, climbing on wings to refuel and general operations around Islamic areas are best done in demure trousers. Skirts just dont work. Any more than kilts for men!

And there are short ladies, tall ones, fat and slim, old and young, good pilots and ne'er do wells. Black, white and every colour in between. In short just like the men. There are those who fly as amateurs, commercial professionals, those who take it up until they get pregnant, those who never get pregnant, those who fill a Quota and those who are pretty damn good.

Big problems for ladies who take up flying are local culture which doesn't see them as in command... I've seen officials walk right past a female four bar to talk to the perceived male captain. They are sometimes seen as easy prey, soft touches for being cheated, fleeced. Hygiene facilities across the region don't cater for the fairer sex, and privacy is at a premium when nature calls and there isn't a bush in sight. Companies often have the opinion females aren't worth investing in because "they don't have It", or they will get broody as soon as they get useful.

I've seen women take up flying as a passion, a career, a way to impress the men or a scheming way to fleece a lover. And as a great thing to do.

So who's asking and what was the question again??