PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Live - BBC 2 UK - 17th June 2013
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2013, 15:27
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter47. It's a complex business becoming a controller, much like becoming a pilot with similar subjects to be studied. After obtaining a licence one then has to obtain ratings for the licence - tower control, radar control, etc. If one joins NATS, to where one is ultimately posted is up to the powers that be. I got to Heathrow by a round-about method. I did not match up to the Civil Service requirements at the time (mid 60s) and ended up working as a controller overseas, during which time I sat the exams and obtained my UK Licence. On return to the UK I worked at a small airfield and then applied to join the Civil Service as a controller based on my ATC expereince. It worked and following a radar course I wen to Heathrow.

There was a period when controllers from Heathrow went to the College of ATC to assess controllers being trained for their suitability to work at Heathrow. If I recall, it didn't work to well. Some who were "top of the class" failed to validate (go solo) at Heathrow. One's education or background seems to make no difference in ATC. I have worked with ex-RAF pilots and controllers and youngsters straight out of Uni. Nobody knows if they will make it until they start live training....

HTH

Last edited by HEATHROW DIRECTOR; 24th Jun 2013 at 15:29.