PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2013, 10:38
RenegadeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad

I just finished watching "The Men Who Fell To Earth" Australian Story episode on the ABC. It just brings home just how wide and deep the impact is when a crash like this occurs. So very sad for the partner of the passenger who died, their wider family, Barry's family and everyone he touched too.

When oh when is the "boy's club" nature of our industry going to lift and our regulator really address safety in a more proactive manner. I do appreciate there are many people within CASA doing some very good work and who are being proactive, but you can just see how the cosy relationship amongst so many people involved in this sad tale has facilitated a breakdown in standards and a member of the public with little awareness or understanding has believed things are being managed properly only to suffer loss of life when they're not.

I never flew with Barry but have hired aircraft from him and met him on a few occasions. A larger than life figure that's for sure. But, if the program's points on the anomalies with his medical are accurate, it's quite possible this was a major factor in the crash.