PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2013, 08:21
Tacitus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have started training late in life (I'm 33 now) as I wanted to do it debt free but now by no means I'm not in a rush to finish as early as possible. I believe that IF the economy is going strong and IF the airlines are hiring age wont be a significant factor. But now those two just don't happen and airlines prefer younger pilots. Generally speaking younger and inexperienced employees have fewer demands from the employer. Also people at my age are not willing to fork out that massive debt without a good return in investment, unless you are very wealthy of course.Besides many reputable airlines have an age limit for FOs.
Also there are many experienced pilots who are unemployed and in their mid 30s-40s, so we have a situation now where we have many young guys willing to spend a fortune, many older guys with experience and all of them are competing for the few places available. Does this sound promising for a mid30s career changer?
Personally I regretted that I didn't commence my training younger,
10 years ago there were better possibilities for a job and even if I was in debt I would have more time and fewer responsibilities in order to repay it.
Now in order to be a pilot you have to be young with plenty of money to spent. I don't know if im bitter or realistic but that's what I think.

PS Would be much appreciated, since BA and Ezy are (were) recruiting, if a typical 30 something career changer was accepted to proceed to their selection process. If such an individual exists would be nice to share his experience. It would be nice if someone prove me that im wrong with a recent tangible example

Last edited by Tacitus; 24th Jun 2013 at 10:10.