PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flap overspeed during retraction?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 20:59
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlywithPark
In case of flap retraction at 'S' spd during take off, sometimes spd increase over 230kts(flap 1 limit spd) during flap retraction.
Can we consider we committed flap overspeed in this case? We can encounter this situation several times especially in heavy weight takeoff situation.
How's your thought?
In my company, this is big issue now because by this case a pilot failed his checkride transitioning to captain.
VFE and VFE NEXT are displayed on the PFD according to the FLAPS’ lever position. OVERSPEED warning and VLS, displayed on the PFD, are computed according to the actual flaps/slats position. (source of this info: qrh, landing with slats or flaps jammed)

To me this means that as long as there was no overspeed WARNING, there was no overspeed condition. When you retract the flaps from 1+F to up, you see the Vne speed not quickly jumping up, but rapidly move to 350 kts. To me this means that you never were in overspeed if you did not enter the red tape (even if you exceeded 230 kt while the flaps indication was still blue)

Anyway, if apart from this "imperfection" the captain in training displayed good airmanship and performed well, I would consider "flunking" him very harsh. Could it be he wasn't performing well overall and this event was just one of the excuses used to justify him being stopped from upgrading?

edited for spelling

Last edited by sabenaboy; 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:23.