PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozrunways and Ipads
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 20:50
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Shags, I am an avid user of Ozrunways, I love it.

The current "Melbourne Interpretation" as transmitted verbally to me from the Chief Pilot, is that a kneeboard must be used and backup paper is required to be carried, period. He was not interested in the Two iPad argument either.

All I am pointing out is the well understood phenomenon that CASA officers all over the country will have different interpretations of what the Law and regulations actually mean.

CASA rules are always written with "wriggle room" to support these different interpretations and as far as I can tell the rules relating to the use of Ozrunways on an iPad are no different.

Yes, Ozrunways is now a source of approved data. I take that to mean that the data on it is regarded by CASA as physically identical to all other sources of approved data and can legally be used as a reference source.

That is not the same as CASA saying that Ozrunways can be your sole source of navigation data, that is merly implied. Furthermore, the software itself is not TSO'd and there is that pesky navigation log requirement to be complied with.

To put that another way, once Fifty or more Ozrunways users have gone around Australia with not an extra shred of navigational paper or ERSA on board and every FOI they meet says they are sweet with this then I will breathe easier.

Alternatively, we could ask for a statement from CASA as to exactly what are the minimum VFR navigation tools required to be carried, the actions to be taken with them and how Ozrunways complies, but your chance of getting that are zero considering that CASA refuse even to publish a minimum requirements list for a single engine VFR aircraft to pass a ramp check. I know someone who asked for this and was told by CASA that it was "too complicated" to generate.

So meanwhile for me its paper charts and Ozrunways until someone tellls our CP that the "Melbourne Interpretation" is superseded.

And a PS, I have been told, and I think the CAAP confirms, that CASA requires weight and balance checks to be on paper and refer to the POH or CASA chart data unless the aircraft manufacturer has approved the electronic device for the calculation.

Last edited by Sunfish; 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:01.