PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flap overspeed during retraction?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 20:37
WhyByFlier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you perhaps make use of the Alpha Lock function?

From FCTM NO-050 P 7/10:

THE ALPHA LOCK FUNCTION The slats alpha/speed lock function will prevent slat retraction at high AOA or low speed at the moment the flap lever is moved from Flaps 1 to Flaps 0. "A. LOCK" pulses above the E/WD Slat indication. The inhibition is removed and the slats retract when both alpha and speed fall within normal values. This is a normal situation for take-off at heavy weight. If Alpha lock function is triggered, the crew will continue the scheduled acceleration, allowing further slats retraction.

It happened to me one morning. We were at max 89T for
takeoff (or slightly under)....I was flying....called for FLAPS
ZERO at "S"speed....we were in moderate turbulence...and
we hit 230 knots without the slats being fully retracted. I
guestimate we were at about 232 or 233 when the slats
were completely retracted. I couldn't have cared less....
Not my problem.... BTW, the autopilot was on at the time, too.
Out of interest, as the pilot, whose problem was it? If it doesn't do what you want then take over. Too much to expect you to disconnect and raise the nose? Or follow the written procedure?

FCTM SI-010 P 8/16:

For takeoff in high turbulence, the flight crew must wait for the target speed +20kt (limited to VFE-5) before retracting the slats/flaps (e.g. the flight crew must wait for F+20kt before setting Flaps 1)
I wonder why Airbus pilots never think of retarding the TLs, below the climb gate to some sensible power setting, to reduce the rate of acceleration until the aircraft is clean.
Or raise the nose.

Last edited by WhyByFlier; 23rd Jun 2013 at 20:42.