PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 20:19
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xercules,

Thanks for that, I have to say that as a GE, explaining acronyms to me was not a priority for the crews I flew with. I do remember doing a very unusual repatriation during Op Northern Watch (I believe). I was tasked with an SF crew and an RAF police SOCCO to repatriate the remains of three journalists who had been murdered by their Turkish guides in northern Iraq (I believe they were contracted to The Times, 2 men and a woman ISTR).

We proceeded to Akrotiri and waited for a couple of days, until the Royal Marines had captured the ground where the bodies had been located. We flew, low level all the way to Sirsinq, and with the greatest respect to him, our Captain (Max B) landed with only a couple of yards either way to spare. The runway had not been fully de mined and the "safe" area was just 2 meters either side of a C130 MLG Track, indicated by a line of dayglo flags.

On landing we were told that the area had been secured, and, we could use that Land Rover over there! We hopped in,all of us, SOCCO drove and off to the hills we went. I do not wish to dwell on details, suffice to say that recovery of the remains was not "run of the mill" for a forty plus year old GE. We returned to the aircraft and placed the remains in lead lined caskets. Our orders were to return the remains direct to BZN, something to do with the Oxford Coroner.

Unfortunately, Albert couldn't make BZN direct due to our low level infil/exfil from Turkey, possibly some sort of political denial on their behalf, we never made radio contact with any Turkish controller throughout the flight, in or out, although to this day I can not understand that. So we went back to Akronelli, refuelled and then went direct to Brize. Arriving at 0130 hrs seemed to surprise both the movements people and VASF at Brize, but the undertakers were there. So we unloaded the coffins as a crew, handed them to the undertakers, and then did a quick 15 minutes back to Lyneham.

Probably, like many C130 people, I've seen my share of repatriation flights, but that was definitely something different. Whilst I was never subject to the crew duty day restriction as a GE, on that day the aircrew operated for more than 20 hours continuous, no one even flinched when told we had to recover the remains, and we all remarked at how VASF and a Houchin at Brize might have made life a little more respectful for the relatives than our GTC. Sorry for the long winded blather, but, for me, a memory that sticks, as an aside Saddam had one of his palaces near the airfield at Sirsinq, and one of the Royal Marines gave me a piece of black Marble, which lined the place, as a souvenir, for me it's quite a morbid bit of stone, which for some reason I hang on to.

Sorry for diverting from thread, but the current subject matter from young Danny brought it all to mind.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 23rd Jun 2013 at 20:28.