PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France does a 'Memmingen'.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 15:56
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this incident the crew ultimately went around; why. Whatever ‘view’ that ‘caused’ the pilots to change their intent

Crew = more than 1 pilot, and the pilots confirm who you are discussing. I would suggest that only 1 pilot = PF was involved in executing this scenario. Was the G/A initiated by PF or did PM at last wake up? I don't know, but I have a strong gut feeling that the start and end of this semi-suicidal escapade was not a 'crew' matter. I very much doubt if PF turned to PM to enquire of his opinion if the subsequent approach might be executed successfully & safely. I suspect PF plunged the a/c towards the rwy and PM was trying desperately to catch up with what was confronting him and hanging on. I hope it was PF who finally decided to bail out of this imminent train smash, and the relief on PM's face improved the smell in the cockpit.
I would be ver curious what the F/O said after the engines were shut down. I've missed if they flew back together and what the atmosphere must have been like. I wonder the same questions of the TSL incident. There have been many other averted disasters where the F/O had a chance to say his piece, but I wonder if they ever did. There is one story I know of where the captain on a severe clear day executed a high energy visual and ended up with a glide landing at F5/10. Flap limits had been exceeded. No entry in the tech log etc. etc. No engineering inspection, even though they were available. Yet the F/O stayed on board and flew back with the clown, probably very silently. It was automated data retrieval data that blew the whistle a few days later. Amazing. The question people often ask is 'what would you do to force the G/A?' I can understand that; let's try and learn; but to say nothing to management about your concerns of the captaincy/piloting skills of an employee who might then go out the next day and do the same only worse; that I find also lacking in judgement. If we're dealing with HF matters in the build up to the incident, I think we can also consider the HF matters afterwards and ask why the silence. I know it is easy to ask and very difficult to blow the whistle, but just give it some thought if it happened to you and your wife & kids were booked on his a/c the next day.