PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France does a 'Memmingen'.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 12:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming that the PF misjudged the situation (variable human performance), then for other than probability, what would indicate that the PM understood the situation any better than PF, and thus could have chosen to intervene.
Both pilots were in the same situation, thus their perception and understanding could have been similar, as we expect in everyday normal operations. But without evidence we cannot tell – probabilities or otherwise.

This statement, from your HF references, could, by your theory, also be applied to the TSL incident. However, at TSL they were visual and PM sat and watched, passively, for many minutes, as the captain was trying to kill them all. It was not a THY AMS surprise scenario. It was not even an AF CRZ stall with a 'what's it doing now?' conundrum. From the video it seemed like a nice long straight in visual finals. A G/A can still be made at any height, even from on the RWY up until TR's are deployed. As they floated down the rwy searching for the ground with too little flap and too high a speed, it was perfectly obvious to PM that this was not a good place to be. The hole was deep and getting deeper. After all the world incidents/accidents of this nature that have been spread around the aviation industry why are PM's still allowing this to happen? If the F/O had been PF would the captain have sat back, dumb? Jeez I hope not; but then it was the same clown who put them in this hole in the first place.
Same with AF. If PM could not perceive that they were getting into a deep hole that was getting deeper they shouldn't be at the sharp end. PF might get mentally fixated on the mission and tunnel vision. I doubt there was much explanation from PF about what he was doing and how he was thinking it was going to work out. I suspect he was fixated and moving hands and eyes rapidly searching for the golden key. PM should have been thinking his own thoughts and feeling very nervous for his own survival. I don't get it that he might also have been unaware that things were going wrong. His brain was on a different channel to PF and receiving different inputs and making different calculations: I hope.