PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oman Air Pilot Recruitment (Merged Threads)
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 08:52
Scube3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First year Cpt. Is about $9000+ F.O. Pay. Is about $7000
duty time ( $640 in a relaxing month, $1800 in a hectic month)+
Housing allowance: $1800 ( enough to find a nice place to live) for F.O. $1500.
You also get 2 blocks of 23 days vacations a year and 1 annual leave ticket for you and your immediate family)
You also get ID90 and iD 50 tickets with the major airlines which has just gone up. The company excuse is that the prices weren't reviewed for the last 3 years and now they have increase to match other airlines. For me at this moment is cheaper going home in Ethihad or Qatar than Oman Air. The pilot committee is negotiating this including other terms of the contract although I don't have too much faith on them.
The contract comes with free medical and dental insurance with 0 down but only covers Oman and countries were we fly too and at those countries in certain hospitals. If you want to have surgery somewhere else you will have to negotiate with the insurance. ( by the way, doctors in Oman are clueless, so anything serious you have to go outside of the country)
School fees for expats are very expensive! Company pays about 70% of tuition (I think) but you still have to pay a considerable amount for your kids.
Upgrade to captain takes a long time. It follows seniority. The last upgrades have been in the company for a bit over 5 years. This is do to the company continue lack of planning and continue hiring direct entry captains to cover holes. Fleet transfer two A330 is much less. At this moment seems that the company is changing their ways and giving importance to upgrading. Upgrades and fleet transfers has been announced due to the increase in fleet size in 2014 and onwards. It seems they are finally planning ahead the upgrades and organizing... We'll have to wait a see what happens.
The country and Oman Air are trying to Omanize. It's a lose battle they have and they are trying to win it. They were averaging about 8 cadets a year and now they are trying to increase to 12. It seems they have a high rate of failure so that's for the difficulty of increasing the numbers...
New cadets that i have flown with are sharp and adequate for the job.
The company it's about two start a big fleet expansion (big in Oman Air terms not in Middle East terms ) with the addition of 6 737-800's, and 3 A330-300's.
Also in 2015 they have orders for 5 737-900's and 6 Boeing 787's.
737 fleet has the toughest schedule of all, although it seems that conditions have improved in the last year. A330 fleet, relaxed life but be ready to spend 15 days a month away from your family. At this moment no direct entry into the 330 only upgrades.