PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers slam Virgin on safety
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2003, 05:48
Dehavillanddriver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK, lets look at maintenance in general.

The ALAEA says it is dangerous for pilots to do walkarounds - fair enough - it is a free world and they are entitled to their opinion.

I say that having car mechanics working as AME's doing heavy maintenance on aeroplanes under the supervision of one or two LAME's is dangerous. But funnily enough the ALAEA don't make a public outcry about that.

The whole "LAME is better than a pilot" thing is a little lame (pardon the pun) when you consider the "unsafe" practices that engineers get up to.

I have seen a team of AME's working on an aeroplane under going heavy maintenance with the two supervising LAME's signing work cards for work that they had never been near.

I have seen guys do a walkaround (not a daily) on a transit, come up onto the flight deck and get the log, and go off and get a properly licenced engineer to sign it - even though that licenced engineer had not even seen the aeroplane.

If we are going to slag each other off, maybe we should have a bit of balance.

We don't get a bloke with a private pilots licence to fly as co-pilots - we have at least two properly trained and endorsed pilots operating the machine. If we were to follow the LAME/AME style of setup we would have the Captain as the licenced guy and the co-pilot as the AME.

Maybe the AFAP should start a scare campaign about AME's

It would be as much about safety as the ALAEA's current campaign