PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 00:38
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beggar it – I'm gonna bite, once.

Creamy, just for fun - I'll see your differ and raise you an agreement; I have no doubt that essentially at 'top drawer' level, all is as you say and the responsibility lays squarely with Gummint. I'm in ferocious agreement with you.

However, really, the likes of Albo, (the pollies polly), are not, not ever as long as their nether regions point at the earth's centre going to 'step up'. They will, righteously wheel in an 'expert donkey' to pin a tail on when it all goes south, give 'it' a fluffy white paper hat and say "crack on lads, time is money". Then sit back, in glorious isolation watching the fun in the arena from the safety of the chairman's lounge. That system (human nature) at least will never fail.

For mine, the essence of the problem lays within the CASA/ATSB 'culture'. How the system (whatever it is) gets used. The Gummint appointee sets the tone, gives sage, honest advice to the paymaster and manages the troops (honour, integrity and all that old school stuff). This has not been delivered by McComic or any of his 'orrible little men; and that is where I believe the problem lays. The deeper problems e.g. Pel Air are just not clearly seen, by ministers and mandarins, through the shiny, slippery covering of the 'watchdog's' bombproof, public edifice made safe by Safety.

The deep seated problems, exposed in part by Pel Air, exist within an encouraged, systematic methodology, which, without having need to regard accountability - to anyone, can pretty much do as it likes and fully expect to get away with it. The multiple, Teflon coated layers of protection afforded make it almost (but not quite) impossible to penetrate to the depths where the big rats are hidden. Someone, somehow needs to get a rope on the little buggers, make them accountable for the carnage and mess left behind. The minister and mandarins may completely believe that all is well, indeed they should be able to rely implicitly on it (what would they know anyway). But no matter, there are always those who will ensure that should the ministerial lobotomy fail, then blinkers, cotton wool and soothing potions will be administered. Should that fail, the old "well, the blood will be on your hands Minister" speech is dusted off and plugged into the deep sleep, subliminal message bank. The message - "Trust me minister, - I'll only just pop it in a little way, if you don't like, I'll just pop it out again".

But most of all, no matter who does it, or how it is achieved: whether by divine intervention, a public flogging or just simply through 'someone' who'll do the job properly and expect at least some integrity from the 'minions'. Keep them honest; Pel Air wasn't honest; Quadrio wasn't honest; Barrier cannot be honest; Canley Vale won't be honest; Senate inquiry bloody nearly wasn't honest. Let's at least have a semblance of honesty, service and assistance to the aviation community which relies quite heavily on and pays dearly for the 'expert' administrative unit we and the rest of the planet, laughingly refer to as "the" safety authority.

Steam off - Sheepish grin – exeunt, stage left. Now where's my muffin gone; bloody dog. ...

Last edited by Kharon; 23rd Jun 2013 at 00:53. Reason: Nope, GD's elephant got the muffin. Some days, you know.