PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 00:24
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Senate PelAir report recommendation 13!

Sunny you may well be right, but are you in agreement with recommendation 13?? Going off Creamy's recent posts he would be in agreement and apparently prepared to participate albeit through a friend:
"I'll urge a close friend to make a submission to the 'short inquiry' into the regulatory reform program."
Regulatory reform
6.56 The committee received information that there is concern in industry about the progress and direction of regulatory reform.54 It understands that this process has been going on for well over a decade55 and this extended timeframe is causing ongoing uncertainty for industry. The committee compares it with the regulatory reform process in New Zealand which has taken far less time and by all accounts has been effective.56

6.57 While a certain degree of concern is to be expected, the committee believes it is time to conduct a brief inquiry on the current status of regulatory reform to review the direction, progress and resources expended to date. This would include seeking perspectives from CASA and industry. It would also include benchmarking against the New Zealand reform process and outcomes, including industry acceptance.

Recommendation 13
6.58 The committee recommends that a short inquiry be conducted by the
Senate Standing Committee on Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport into the current status of aviation regulatory reform to assess the direction, progress and resources expended to date to ensure greater visibility of the processes.
Although Creamy you may not be in total agreement with some of the committees footnoted references:
55 See www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:c=PC_92098 ;
www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:c=PC_92107; Steve Creedy, 'Civil Aviation Safety Authority close on reform of rules', The Australian, 4 November 2011. The article notes that the new regulations may not be in place before the end of 2014; Emma Kelly, InFocus, 'Australia closes in on regulatory reform', 19 February 2013.
www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-australia-closes-in-on-regulatory-reform-382027/;
Paul Phelan, 'To hell with the rules', 6 April 2013, Pro Aviation
http://proaviation.com.au/?p=639 accessed (19 April 2013).
56 AMROBA, Submission 15, p. 1; Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand, Strategic Direction,October
Combine some of those quoted references with your 'RRP thread' (pick out the good bits) then write a concise executive summary and 'bingo' your submission will be done…can’t wait to link pprune to it for a robust discussion!

Creamy:
I’ve been asked what my solution is. I’ve said it frequently: Elect independents. Australia needs lots, lots more like Nick Xenophon, so that the Federal government once again takes responsibility for governing.
I agree with your ‘above’ statement, although I’m not sure about independents in the lower house holding the balance of power. The current experiment with minority government IMHO hasn’t worked and has led to a government too busy pumping out ineffective, largely uncontested (87% uncontested apparently) volumes of legislation rushed through mostly without proper ‘due process’ followed.

More independents in the Senate…now that I would agree with and there are some indications that may well happen, although they won’t be in place till July next year.

On the matter of DF’s tabling speech I think you’re underestimating the good Senator. The speech says to me that the Senate Committee Senators are not letting this matter rest and are united in seeing that the recommendations will not be simply shelf-wared or white paper washed like last time.

It also indicates that DF hasn’t been white washed by his own party and if you refer to Senate Estimates Hansard 29/05/13 (scroll to Senator Fawcett), I also get the impression that the good Senator is joining the dots.

All the more reason that the Committee receives informative, objective submissions when the ‘short inquiry’ into RRP is called!

Ok that sort of covers R13..so well done Creamy

Phearless Phelan's cottoned onto DF's speech..

Senator Fawcett?s vision for the future ? opinion | Pro Aviation

Last edited by Sarcs; 23rd Jun 2013 at 07:43.