PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 17:50
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Repatriations

You will recall that Repatriations are a recent phenomenon. In fact, the first ones as we know them were after the first Gulf War. The deceased were to be returned through Brize Norton (6 if memory is correct) by C130 but the crew for the final leg was in Akrotiri and needed to know what was required, especially on the ground once at BZZ.

The Stn Cdr sent me over to Brize with the rehearsal aircraft. We parked and I went down the crew entrance steps to meet the London GSM - he is the one you see at the head of the steps marshalling the troops in the RAH for the Festival of Remembrance. He is always ex-Guards is about 9ft tall with (out of dress uniform) a cap vizor which conceals not just his eyes but most of his face as well. Being a relatively diminutive Sqn Ldr at the time, he addressed me to say "Right, Sir, the aircraft will land and park here" with the tail facing directly at the gathered grieving relatives. With some trepidation I challenged this claiming that the back of the Herc was not what the rleatives would need to see - who knew what the need would be to stack coffins end or on top of each other to make sufficient room for each bearer party to muster, drape the coffin, lift and march out.

He saw my point, much to me relief, and what you see today is the result - first view is the bearer party and coffin in immaculate parade order being guided down the ramp in perfect unison. I always feel humble but proud each time I see it on the News.