PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 12:51
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While Cdr Ward's pronouncements often seem personal and (are) opinionated a lot of what he says does appear based on sound common sense and practicality.

The personal swiping begins to look a bit too personal when he is slammed for speaking in favour of a two seater simply because it is felt he "ought" to be favouring a single - perhaps the man is actually voicing a sound military viewpoint? As you might expect from a professional and highly experienced man like him.

From what I've learned over the years from other RN flyers his sniping at the RAF is not altogether unprovoked, given the extraordinary political infighting (not to say outright chicanery, if the tales I'm hearing are true) that the RAF has conducted against the RN in a relentless battle to secure monopoly of control over fast jets and their pilots. He is far from alone in harbouring such thoughts

As a man who cares passionately about the RN it is unsurprising that he (along with some of our close allies) feel strongly that the removal of the Navy's fast air and carriers is irresponsible insanity as lessons from history clearly demonstrate, and the notion that the RAF are capable of or the least bit interested in supporting naval ops is equally questionable. I also think that his remarks on the Tornado aren't entirely without substance either.

With our political masters showing such lack of understanding of the importance of military matters I think it is important we have outspoken people like Cdr Ward out there to stir things up a bit, even if it does sound like monotonous bleating at times.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 22nd Jun 2013 at 12:57.