PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting PPL - which plane to fly
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 09:05
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can learn to be a good pilot in either/any option. However, unless you are a very large-frame person, I would go down the C152 route for the following reasons. First, the lighter aircraft will keep you on your toes more, and conversions to larger and more stable aircraft will be essentially trivial. Similarly, the C152 is light enough that if you do decide to fly LSAs/VLAs etc you won't be totally surprised at what's required. Second, the more marginal aircraft performance is actually a plus in training. There's a lot to be said for learning how to coax an aircraft to fly off a short/rough strip on a hot day. I've known people who've trained on an Archer (180 hp) or similar and for whom the realities of maximum performance flying come as a rude shock. Third, the stall/spin behaviour of the C152, while not viscious, does at least approximate classical generic behaviour. And if you can get into an aerobatic version, your instructor can introduce you to a few aerobatic manoeuvres. Not only does this build confidence but it also gives you the opportunity to think about whether it's a path you might like to pursue in your flying. I should add that I've enjoyed many enjoyable and trouble-free cross-country hours in PA28s and lots of other aircraft. For training though, the C152 offers you a tiny bit more character with which to start your aviation career. In fact, I'd recommend a C150 - 40 degrees of flap and a nicer aircraft to fly - but that would just mark me as a regressionist Good luck, and have fun, whatever you decide.