PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFE OR POOLEYS?
Thread: AFE OR POOLEYS?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 04:49
Howard Long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realise this is going against the grain, but I purchased the Pooley's kit at the recommendation of the school. They weren't pushy about it, the first day I went in there I asked for suggestions and this is what they suggested. (Slight aside, Pooley's Air Pilot's Manual series is the same as the oft-quoted Trevor Thom).

I've used every single part of the kit during my PPL training over the past four months, I am about 85% done. I am not sure where you'd find an appropriate ruler in Tescos: the ruler markings are designed to work with 1:500,000 and 1:250,000 maps.

The main problem with the Pooley's kit is the bag itself. It's simply not the best dimensions for the folded map. In addition the zip fasteners are less than robust, mine broke a few days after I received it.

What is missing from the kit? A suitable Q&A book and something to clean the map etc from the permananent markers. For the Q&A book, I use both the Pooley's Q&A book and the AFE Simplifier. The AFE has a cram section for each exam which I found very useful, but the Pooley's Q&A has very good colour explanations. To clean the map there are a few suggestions, but probably a dry whiteboard marker pen and a cloth is the most convenient. Others suggest nail varnish remover. Being an electronics engineer, I have isopropyl alcohol (IPA) in the lab, so I use that, it's cheaper than nail varnish.

You may need a better flight computer than the one in the kit for your CPL as others have mentioned, I am not intending to do a CPL so I can't really comment further.

I am also not convinced about the kneeboard supplied yet, I can see me changing that when I spot something more appropriate. This is the one very slight disadvantage of being a left-hander! I naturally put the kneeboard on my left leg being left handed, but sitting in the left seat the knee board won't open as there's a door in the way! So I have it on my right leg but it's not the most comfortable for writing.

Cheers, Howard