PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battlefield not beyond the courtroom.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2013, 23:11
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by althenick
Pr00ne has had a wee bit of unfair flak over this I think. There are no doubt death-and/or-glory people in the UKDF Officer Corps.

Didn't Lt-Col H Jones of 2 Para do something similar at Goose green 31 years ago?
I agree, in fact is there not something in the "rules of war" which prohibit a declaration of war unless there is a reasonable chance of success. I may be way off beam with that but it does kinda stick in my mind from some place; if I'm talking nonsense then please forgive. If it is so them I would argue the same must apply at all op levels. Look, nobody is arguing that this is going to make the forces some kind of risk adverse boy scout movement. Rather it should stop bloody recklessness either through deficient equipment programmes or ego stroking actions. If it were my son or daughter I would rest easier knowing that, yes they are to take risk, but that those risks are truly measured, justified and managed. The people that take the opposite view tend to approach this in absolute terms of all out war; not really representative of where we are at the moment.

Last edited by TomJoad; 21st Jun 2013 at 23:12.