PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Email 'reputation'
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2013, 22:56
Milo Minderbinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but this thread carries a high BS quotient

First, AOL/TalkTalk still have open relays and are still a spam source: you are more likely to find mail from their domains being blocked, than them doing the blocking.
Next, AOL don't have their own unique spam-host-ID system: they just "buy in" info from SpamHaus or the other information congregators.

What that means is, plug your own IP address and your own e-mail address into the spam-bot listings and see if you get a hit. If you do, theres usually a hint given as to why the hit was there.

Its important to note that in the grown-up e-mail world, spam IS blocked at the sending ISP - thats why so many open relays have closed. AOL are one of the exceptions in the west

But.......e-mail rejection can be a funny thing
A few weeks ago one of my customers was pulling his hair out because an advertising shot he was trying to mail was constantly being rejected by his SMTP mailhost (Orange - he has his own POP domain)
Eventually I tracked the problem down to the use of the word "teen" in the mail title. The actual title was on the lines of "Would-be teenage organist entertains" and was advertising a cinema organ recital.
A real-life example of what BOAC described as PRISMism gone wrong

In this particular case I suspect theres something more going on. Its more likely that your e-mail host -not you - is on a blacklist somewhere for having an open relay. And I'd take anything their helpdesk says with a pinch of salt.
Essentially its down to your e-mail host to cure the problem by stopping the spam. If they don't, then they are not doing their job. Take your business (and your e-mail domain) elsewhere. You've already said theres spam going through the server through other accounts. Its up to the mail company to close those accounts.

Last edited by Milo Minderbinder; 21st Jun 2013 at 22:59.