PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting PPL - which plane to fly
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2013, 12:26
helelizwil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting PPL - which plane to fly

Hi all,

I have been reading these forums for the past couple of months and they have provided me with so much great advice and information, so thanks everyone.

I've been searching for a thread along these lines and can't fine one, apologies if I've missed it, but here it goes.

I am due to start my PPL in October, and I'm going over to the US to do it. (A decision made when my first trial flight in the UK got cancelled twice because of bad weather.) Anyway, I flew my trial flight at Surrey and Kent Flying Club (great place, would highly recommend it) and did it in a Piper Warrior. I loved the plane, felt much more sturdy than the two seaters I'd flown in previously (a Bulldog and a Grob-Tutor during my years at CCF) and, as the flight school I'm going to in the US (American Aviation Academy, San Diego) has the Piper, I thought I'd do it in that.

But, I'm doing some preliminary research on what jobs are about (I'm planning to go on to CPL when I've done my PPL) and a lot of them are in Cessnas (172/152). Therefore, would it be a smarter move to do my PPL in a Cessna? Or, does it really not matter what plane I fly at this stage?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts/advice.