PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2013, 09:04
max AB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An earlier post offered the following scenario;

Interesting situation you often face. You arrive at aerodrome A at 2300z with fog, with a metar saying fog clearing at 0000z. But 2330z is your aerodrome B diversion fuel cutoff time.. You have fuel in tanks to hold until 0030 and make an approach to A.
Stay or Go?? Firstly if known before departure carry fuel for a hold until 0000z plus the approach and diversion fuel. Otherwise at 2330z you divert. If not you are proposing to commit to an airfield that is closed and I can't see any logic in that at all. Commit if your are assured of a landing sure, but how can you say that when the airfield is still below your approach minimas?

You have no legal obligation to divert at 2330 to B. Do you stay or do you go at 2330?
Then your fuel policy needs rewriting I would suggest.

An auto land to a Cat 1 facility below minima is an emergency, don't think of it any other way. It is most definitely not a plan B....Those that have done them to unprotected ILS aids will agree with me, the lack of protections even to a CAT 11/111 can result in some strange AP behaviour, I have experienced early flare and a low pass down the runway, late flare, sudden LOC divergence. To consider this as a non emergency option is pretty silly thinking.....