PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEM consultation.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2013, 05:24
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Has the NEM team got around the seemingly immovable problem presented by the Treasury when housing assistance was discussed in 2005/6, namely that once an SP had drawn public monies to buy his/her own house, any future use of SFA/SLA would be at a commercial rate on the principle of 'double dipping'?

I've mentioned it before, but DASA did some excellent work looking at housing affordability vs rank vs commuting distances to stations and then predicted - based on some pretty firm (and grim) statistics, the number of RTAs and casualties that would result from encouraging even more SP to live outside the wire. It will take a very brave (or stupid) commander to sign up to a policy that will increase the numbers of road traffic related deaths and injuries, principally amongst our lesser paid and in most cases, junior personnel.

Moreover, not only are proposals scant on detail, there is nothing, repeat nothing on how to encourage overseas service, now that LOA has been so drastically reduced and that there are no prospects of subsidising loss of spousal income (unlike, say, the FCO). Most of us who has served overseas in recent years realise that our spouses have to take a career holiday and that our disposable income plummets; moreover and in spite of CDS's edict of June 2012, overseas service is a career-killing move. Yes, it's been great to serve abroad with the RAF, in that we've had great experiences and lived in some interesting locations, but if I could turn the clock back 12 years, I would 'stay close to my desk and never go to sea, and I'll be the ruler of the Queen's Nav-eee'

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 21st Jun 2013 at 05:35.