PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mirror exposes deadly helicopter peril! (Merged)
Old 28th Feb 2003, 20:34
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm inclined to agree this absurd non-story doesn't merit a response.
However, Biggin Hill Helicopters doesn't have that luxury. A 'No Comment' could easily be deliberately distorted to give the impresssion that they had done something wrong and/or had something to hide.

This is the full text of BHH's response to the Mirror. It will be interesting to see how much of it is published.
“Terrorflying’ Story

Response by Captain Bill Lowry.
Managing Director and Chief Pilot
BIGGIN HILL HELICOPTERS

“Biggin Hill Helicopters has conducted sight-seeing tours over London for 10 years and I’m very proud of the unblemished safety record which we’ve established.
We comply with all regulations laid down by the Civil Aviation Authority and, in common with all other Air Operators, we’re constantly monitored by the Authority. The Authority has never once had cause to criticise, or suggest changes to, our procedures.

“Helicopter operators are not required to search passengers or their bags, and I’m not aware of any operator in the country that does so. I think it’s very unfair that the article gives the impression that our procedures are in some way lax.

“If the Mirror would like to see the rules changed, it would have been much fairer if you’d taken the matter up with the authorities. We don’t search passengers or bags and, if you’d asked us, we would have told you.
There was no need to use such under-handed methods as if you were exposing some shameful behaviour. We have nothing to hide.

“It’s a great pity you resorted to sensationalising an otherwise accurate story with exaggeration and a number of inaccuracies.”
Captain Simon Maynard, pilot of the helicopter, said: “It is simply not true that I hovered over the Houses of Parliament, yet your front page headline claims that I did for five minutes. That is simply not true and is blatant scare-mongering.
All helicopters over London are under strict Air Traffic Control at all times. The Heathrow radar trace will confirm that what your reporters claim is not true. You’re welcome to obtain a print-out from the National Air Traffic Service. By the way, I’m mid 20s, not late 20s.”
Captain Maynard has been a professional pilot for five years. He holds an Airline Transport Pilots Licence, the highest level of professional pilots licence.

“You suggest a terrorist could manoeuvre a helicopter to hit the Houses of Parliament. Let’s keep this in perspective - we’re talking about a small helicopter the size of a mini here, yet lorries and trucks drive past the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace every day. They could be packed with tons of explosives. Are you suggesting all lorries and trucks should be prohibited from driving through Central London?
Where do you draw the line? If we change our way of life to try to cope with every conceivable means a terrorist might use, the terrorists have won anyway.”
I suggest any other operators who wish to take advantage of free publicity for their pleasure flights should offer their services to another newspaper. BHH seems to have a monopoly with the Mirror at the monent!

Tudor Owen

[Posted with the permission of my clients.]

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 2nd Mar 2003 at 15:55.