PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA entry
Thread: USA entry
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2003, 18:29
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
british guy definitely doesn't need a visa to enter the USA, but there is confusion as to whether he needs special authorisation not granted by the green card to obtain additional FAA ratings. There have been posters who have said they cannot get a job with an airline even though they have a green card, because the airline is worried they cannot be allowed to train on a sim if they are not a US citizen.

The best interpretation of this mess (IMO) was a month or so ago but it scrolled off when the poster got beat up. For that's all we have to go on now, interpretations.

That interpretation was that no visa was required to train for a rating in a Part 61 school, as there was no law which said it was required. We can all bollock on until the cows come home, but it's US federal law what counts. Nobody has produced a CFR which says you need a visa for a recreational rating. The Naples interpretation doesn't to my reading, all that really says is you now need to wait before you can change your visa status granted on entry. Then there was a massive leap to saying you need a visa when you turn up at the border.

Funny thing is, at the front line in the flying schools, nobody gives a damn when you turn up and want to fly a plane. I have a british accent and when I am in a strange town and want to putz around, nobody asks me whether I am a Yank or have approval to be in the USA. They want to see I can fly the thing and the colour of my money. I know a few examiners, and they say the same.

The US embassy in London appears as confused as the rest of us. Somebody in TSA needs to stand up and tell everybody what is happening. There are plenty of flying schools in the US hurting for business right now, and plenty of visa waiver citizens who would like to fly in the US. Why not match them up?