PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 Single Door Safety
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2013, 02:21
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for the input guys.

As an aside, there's a whole world of other (arguably better) aircraft beyond the PA28 and C172. Just because you did your training in those, doesn't mean they are the only choice post PPL.
True, but unfortunately none of those are available to me as I am restricted to hiring from schools/clubs etc as a result of my personal situation. There are a number of groups in my local area that fly airplanes without the issue being discussed here but I just can't financially justify buying an airplane or a share with the amount of flying I intend to do over the next couple of years.

Worry first about how you deal with gusting crosswinds, unexpected weather, how well you can handle an EFATO or control restriction rather than whether you might be the last person to leave the PA28, which as Captain I hope you would understand is your moral, if not legal duty.
Obviously developing flying skills in order to reduce the possibility of such a situation occurring to begin with is more important, but it still doesn't mean this issue is irrelevant.

I'm not concerned about being the last to leave the airplane, I'm concerned about anyone being able to exit at all in certain extreme cases.

Just slightly O/T, how helpful would the on board fire extinguisher be in such a situation? I've seen plenty of reports of people killed in airplane accidents as a result of the post-impact fire rather than the crash itself.