PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 20th Jun 2013, 02:19
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DoIT Kingcrat: “Err..the elephant is growing Minister!”

Okay now let’s get this straight…we have the low fuel diversion to YMIA…an urgent response required to the Senate PelAir report/recommendations…Wazza bagging and promising an inquiry into Fort Fumble….the OAIC (Information Commissioner) taking FF LSD to task….the ABC’s Australian Story examining the Hempel disgrace on Monday…Albo off to the AAT…err there’s probably more??

Meanwhile the Minister is MIA (missing in action..get it? ) and the MSM is too busy pointing out who is or isn’t wearing a blue tie..WTF?

By the way caught these combined articles from the ‘Torres News’ for further amusement:
CASA under fire over Barrier, Lockhart River tragedy

Entsch vows to pursue CASA on Barrier demise
By MARK BOUSEN

MEMBER for Leichhardt Warren Entsch says he will be calling for a full inquiry into the operations of the Cairns office of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) after the Federal election on September 14.

Currently the Chief Opposition Whip, Mr Entsch was indicating he expects an LNP Government will be elected. and, once in government, he will be able to act.

Speaking in the House of Representatives in Canberra on June 5, Mr Entsch launched a tirade against the Cairns CASA and the demise of Barrier Aviation, concluding his speech with: “After 14 September, I will be calling for a full inquiry.

“I will not let Barrier be destroyed without holding those individuals who are directly responsible for this sordid business accountable for their actions. This industry urgently needs an independent body and rights mechanisms to hold CASA Cairns accountable for their own inadequacies and conduct.”

Barrier Aviation operated a fleet of more than 30 aircraft from bases Horn Island, Gove, Darwin and Cairns, and employed more than 50 staff.

Mr Enstch is able use terms in the House under privilege, which are protected from legal action, but those some protections do not apply to the Torres News, and, regrettably, this newspaper is not able to reproduce them here.

But the Member for Leichhardt was scathing of Cairns CASA and its operations, and named three people he holds responsible.

“What is also unbelievable is the abuse of process. Six months after Barrier was
forced to shut its doors, they still have not been able to test a single allegation in court - and at the cost of $28,000 per day in lost revenue. And to top it off, CASA has sent press release after press release with statements that have never been
tested.”

Mr Entsch continued: “Around 50 people have lost their jobs, investors have lost millions of dollars, and (owner) David Kilin has lost his life’s work. And even now, CASA is not content with just burying Barrier, they want to dance on the grave as
well. I was disgusted to learn that CASA Cairns has been speaking to potential purchasers of Barrier aircraft, threatening that they will not approve their airworthiness.”

CASA said any reply would have to come from Minister Anthony Albanese.
"But he is MIA??"

New search ordered for missing CASA documents

By PAUL PHELAN
proavitation.com.au

THE office of the Australian Information Commissioner has served notice on Civil Aviation Safety Authority under the Freedom of Information Act, requiring to re-conduct a previously requested search for documents, and that it “fully document that search.”

The FOI request had been lodged by Mr Shane Urquhart, whose daughter Sally died in the Lockhart River Metro crash more than eight years ago, and who has been a passionate critic of CASA’s oversight of the operator TransAir before the crash, and of its subsequent conduct during the Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigation and the inquest.

OAIC wrote to CASA on February 27 this year seeking further details of its search for the documents, which the authority had said it was unable to find.

CASA provided a response on March 14 which, OAIC says, did not satisfactorily explain why it was unable to locate the documents.

OAIC then conducted further enquiries with CASA in late March. CASA’s response to this was regarded as insufficient to show that the documents Mr Urquhart sought did not exist or could not be found.

(All 15 people aboard the Metroliner died when it smashed into a mountain while on approach to the Lockhart River airfield on May 7, 2005. The aircraft, owned by TransAir and operated by Aerotropics, was flying from Bamaga to Cairns.)

Mr Urquhart had applied under FOI for 38 specified documents related to approvals of variations and amendments and additions to TransAir’s air operator’s certificate.

“There may have been some others. The ones I received were quite routine and not remarkable. The issue is that the actual documents we would like to see were in those listed as ‘unable to be located.’

“CASA was prompt in its response to my original request, not charging me and probably hoping I would be happy with what I got and accepting of their excuse for the others.

“ I immediately asked for a review and involved the OAIC. The OAIC has been particularly helpful in assisting me and providing advice.”

Mr Urquhart says his reason for wanting to see the documents is to identify their signatory.

“I believe that it will be very pertinent to the Lockhart River case - i.e. I believe that [a named individual] will be on at least one of the crucial approvals, and that the content will be very relevant to the issues I have been raising.

“I also know that CASA is very aware of what I am seeking and why. I made the point to both CASA and the OAIC that, if the documents cannot be located, it can only follow that they have been lost, stolen, removed or never existed.

“I do not believe the first or last of those situations.”

A lawyer who is involved in the case says: “I have seen something I have never seen before! What an exceptional turn of events!”

CASA’s response was due by June 4.

In an interim response, the Office of the Australian Information Commission told Mr Urquhart on June 11 that CASA proposes to provide the two relevant files to him in full.

“So that you can be satisfied that all documents held on its files have been released to you. Having the entire file may give you some contextual information you wouldn’t obtain if CASA merely extracted the specific documents you requested.”
Admittedly not the MSM but I’ve got a feeling it will soon be dangled in front of their noses??!! Hmm...eventually I will get back to those recommendations...