PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aspiring Airline Pilot - Should I start a PPL at 15 Years Old?
Old 19th Jun 2013, 21:10
Tom Cahill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aspiring Airline Pilot - Should I start a PPL at 15 Years Old?

Hello,
Unfortunately I'm relatively new to the pprune forums so I don't know if this has been mentioned before - but I suppose it shouldn't hurt to ask again.

I'm aiming to become a commercial airline pilot (for airlines like BA, FlyBe or maybe EasyJet). I aim to get all of my certification (ATPL, CPL, etc) via their scholarship schemes e.g: BAFuturePilot - but as I'm sure you know, places are ridiculously competitive.

Would it be a good or bad idea to go for a PPL (which I would probably complete if I get onto a scholarship anyway), so that I stand a better chance of being accepted for a scholarship?

Being 15, I can't do my solo flights until 16/17, but was thinking of getting the PPL exams and assisted flights done before then - over a 1-2 year period. It will also enable me to fit it around my exams. Is this a good or bad idea at such an early age, and why?

I've been in the Air Cadets for nearly 2 years, and am aware of gliding scholarships which I intend to complete in addition to a possible PPL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!