PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kingair C90 Prop Governor
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2013, 08:29
MyNameIsIs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome information MX Trainer.

I knew that in reverse the prop would never get "on speed" but nobody could ever explain to me the reason why! Not something that comes up in the POH either, other than some simple statement saying that the FTG controls prop speed in reverse.

Hoping you might be able to clarify something for me. I've never experienced a governor failure, all I know is what I've read and been taught.

Obviously the FTG can take over prop control at a lower RPM than the OSG. Is it true that the prop will somewhat "cycle" at this FTG-limited RPM? I've been lead to believe that it will cycle because as the prop overspeeds, the FTG will catch it, bleed air and thus it will slow off the limit, then the bleeding stops and prop will speed up again where the FTG catches it again and the process repeats.
Also, is it best to stay at the FTG-limited RPM or push the prop lever forward and have the OSG control the prop rpm, even though it would then be a higher rpm?

As an aside - NEVER EVER SELECT BETA OR REVERSE WHILST THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING!!!!
Someone else did that to one of our aircraft. We were not happy!

A little while ago I did read an article about some early Beech aircraft that had PT6s without reverse. If I can find it again I'll post the models.

Last edited by MyNameIsIs; 19th Jun 2013 at 08:38. Reason: Something went silly and put in lots of codes making it hard to read.