PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMC Windspeed delay on 737?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2013, 02:13
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My SOPs state the tower winds are to be used for wind 'limits'.
I have not read the Lufthansa details but i doubt one can expect to check the EFIS at 30 ft during a crosswind landing....by the way max cross wind are not limitations,just demonstrated values.You may have company limits depending on crew experience,runway contamination etc but for these the Airline must provide the pilot with the source to be used,ie FMC or wind tower..
I believe the crosswind and turbulence were more than an FO should be given to handle (i believe the fo was PF,could be wrong)may have contributed to a serious drift off,also Lufthansa SOP may be to use the FMC info if above tower wind,in that case they broke an sop but nothing more.
Obviously,breaking an SOP and ending up in an incident,the pilot is going to be in trouble,however we can see that some sops are difficult to follow in this case as pilots monitor the most important info such as speed,attitude ,thrust setting...winds change constantly...especially in strong gusty winds..monitoring instruments winds should not overload the crews or take over other critical scans we pilots were taught to do from the very beginning....
Now it is up to the pilot judgement to continue or go around until the reversers are selected.

Last edited by de facto; 19th Jun 2013 at 02:18.