PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2013, 01:36
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
TAIpanESE

'oldpinger' G'day. You were probably not at the 'Tross when 'TAIPAN' was the callsign as shown below and also used by a former RANHFV pilot turned to A4Gs where he used 'TAIPAN' as his tactical (self-selected) callsign. His tactical callsign did not conflict with any others because as shown the callsign was used in Vietnam. By the time Rick Symons was flying A4Gs I think everyone was back from 'Nam.

In Vietnam RANHFV2 1968-9: Rick Symons on far left - Tom Supple mit beard, both went on to A4Gs later on VC-724 OFS No.4 & 5 late 1970 & early 1971 respectively, then together on VF-805. Click de thumbnail:

Yes I understand about the 'Taipan' RAN Squirrel c/s - my reference was more about Vietnam but at the time of my offhand remark I did not want to go into details on this UK-centric forum. But anyway.... A lot of helo stuff of olden tymes is in the 4.4GB PDF online. I could make a helo specific PDF excerpt but that may take some time. Used to have a bunch of 'out of date' ones online at various now defunct places. If interested the most recent of these 'out of date' helo PDFs could be uploaded. Anyhoo... You will note the ARMY have referred to the 'TAIPAN' whilst the RAN perhaps use the 'COBRA' callsign. Is this the case today. Does Navy/ARMY refer collectively to the 'TAIPAN' as you say? I have no idea - I have not been in the RAN FAA for about 38 years now.

Are you going to be able to join the new 'dipgang subzappers'?

“The 135th‘s call signs were EMU (an acronym for Experimental Military Unit and ironically also the name of a flightless Australian bird) and TAIPAN (a deadly Australian snake). As was common in most Assault Helicopter Companies throughout the war, the 135th differentiated its slicks and gunships by assigning one call sign (EMU) to the slick platoons and another (TAIPAN) to the gun platoon. Each aircraft commander was assigned a separate number to use with the call sign. These numbers would reflect the number of the platoon plus a second digit from 0-9. Call signs would therefore range from EMU 10 to 19 and EMU 20 to 29. Taipans used any free number. The company commander’s call sign (as throughout much of the Army) was always simply the company call sign plus 6 (EMU 6). Unit aircraft were always identified by their commander’s call sign when in the air. Only on the ground were aircraft known by their names, the last three digits of their tail number.”

Huey Vets - EMU, Inc. 135th AHC

5 Avn Regt hosts Defence families: http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armyn.../1246/1246.pdf

“DEFENCE families were given the opportunity to fly in a Black Hawk or Chinook at the 5 Avn Regt family day held on October 2, 2010 in Townsville. More than 500 visitors were able to inspect the unit’s helicopters and vehicles, handle unit weapons and meet RAAF military working dogs. They were also able to meet members of the RNZAF preparing to participate in Exercise Hamel & inspect the MRH-90 Taipan trooplift helicopter.”

NHIndustries NH90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operators - Australian Army: 40 MRH 90 (TTH), 8 delivered in 2009 with the remainder to be delivered by 2014.
MRH90 nickname : ‘Cobra’ Royal Australian Navy: 6 MRH 90 (TTH).

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/down...144078_150.jpg
&
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/down...144078_210.jpg

"MRH 90 'Cobra 08' conducts serials during the First of Class Flight Trials, on HMAS Manoora, off the coast of Hobart, Tasmania (Australia) 02 Nov 2009"
&
"MRH 90 'Cobra 08' comes in to land on the flight deck of HMAS Manoora during the First of Class Flight Trials at sea.
(Date taken: 27 October 2009)"

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 19th Jun 2013 at 04:50. Reason: add photie