Thread: Hour Building
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2013, 17:06
pilot in command

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hour Building

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on hour building:

I have been looking at different flying clubs to do my hour building and would appreciate some advice. I will be taking a week off work in August and looking to do 25 hours.

I have so far whittled my choice down to 2 schools, namely, Leeds Multi Flight and Group One Air in Malaga. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Leeds are offering 25 hours for £2600 inclusive of taxes, landing fees etc and Malaga are offering 25 hours at £3500 (£500 more on top for hotels and travel) making a total of £4000 for 25 hours.

It seems clear cut by price which school to do with however from what I've heard the weather at Leeds is never very good with low cloud and crosswinds. The plus point with Leeds is that you pay flight time plus 10 minutes where as with the school in Malaga you pay by what the Hobbs meter says, thus if you are sitting on the taxiway for ages you are having to pay for this time.

The advantage with Malaga is obviously the weather. If you book 25 hours, you are practically guaranteed to fly that amount where as with Leeds, there may only be 4 days out of 7 which are flyable. Also, with Malaga, you get the chance of travelling all over Spain in the DA40 Glass cockpit aircraft and a safety pilot is with you. Leeds are offering the C152.

Any advice? I'd really like to make a decision today.

Thanks