PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France does a 'Memmingen'.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2013, 10:47
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response the general query of your post, how do you change an airline's culture and how long does it take?

I've seen it done very fast, within the 5 years, due to a focused HOT and an SOP book as thick as a bible and treated as such. That plus OFDM and many tea no biscuits. Whether is makes for better pilots, I doubt it. The allowed performance envelope was shrunk in to a vacuum packed cigarette packet. If you stayed within that you were OK, but sometime circumstances pushed you outside that and then you see guys outside their comfort zone. Not a pretty sight as the thinks bubble and ?'s mark appears as a halo and nothing happens for quite a while. The company philosophy could be, 'don't stray outside the box, and if you do get back in ASAP.' Most of the time it works, but not always. As has been said many times in many threads, the aviating airmanship foundations are not a solid as once, but how to change it? Perhaps the large SOP bible, robotic trained monkey philosophy is really a longterm conspiracy theory to dilute the need of 'the right stuff' and turn everyone into airborne bus drivers and so lower T's & C's. It seems to be working looking around at what I've departed from.
I was told it is quicker to slap restrictions on what you can & can't do than to train the crews to be able to do it all. In my early days of mostly visual flying on charters, even to ILS rwy's, the company culture was fly the very basic a/c we had. That is what all captains trained/demo'd their new apprentices, every day and you did the same. Airlines were reasonable stable in size. The massive expansion into many bases in many countries has removed the oversight of a home base training dept. Crews have come from various backgrounds and cultures. The training was to get the crews on line and safe ASAP as a/c were arriving frequently. Make an SOP bible that works and management can be confident will not cause too much mayhem, and make violation a hell & brimstone matter. Not great, but it can be argued it works; until the day when the poo hits the airco and thinking outside of the box & comfort zone is necessary. However, in a risk/management environment it can be considered acceptable.
Changing away from this will be extremely difficult and the discussion will go round in circles again & again; as it already has on here.