PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historical RAF Uniform Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2013, 09:03
ICM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mid-October 1965, and it's our Nav Course's overseas trip (by Varsity) to Gib, where they are still in KD. Stores at Stradishall issue us students a set of KD for our day off down there - shirt and shorts crammed into a plastic wallet, of a type that I'm sure I later knew as a headset bag. What it would have looked like in use we never knew, as our Dep Course Commander went immediately after arrival to the Station Commander to request permission for us to stay in Blue. And happily, that was granted.

Later I recall the 1971 and 72 get-togethers of those on Exchange with the USAF at the Air University in Alabama, during the RAF Staff College's annual visits there. At the first night Reception, we all look pretty much identically kitted in our new Stone-coloured No 6s. However, on the next morning as we show up for the day's lectures etc, the full panoply of KD shades available at the time, from ivory to yellow, depending on place of origin, is on display. Uniformity, indeed!

Edited to add: It wasn't just the different colours, but different kit - Bush Jackets, shirts with long or short sleeves, different weave patterns in the cloth and, no doubt, the odd Stable Belt thrown in just to add to the variety to the whole.

Last edited by ICM; 18th Jun 2013 at 09:21. Reason: To complete the picture!