PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 17th Jun 2013, 23:27
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
casa and atsb - The waste and failure to meet ICAO requirements

The direction that has occurred in this thread, despite a few who seek to de-rail the open and frank discussion that has occurred, with almost 400, 000 views is certainly pointing at a system that is well and truly broken.

The Senate comes out with a report of over 170 pages, with very precise recommendations as to fixing the system. There is no joy for the two organisations being investigated by the honourable Senators. There is just a range of required directions made to the Australian parliament and in the first instance the Minister.

I am sure that the Minister has other things that he must focus on, considering the parlous current state of the Government.

It should not require a major accident, due to the failures of atsb and casa to focus his attention. This is a matter for all parliament and not for the department and it’s departmental incumbent Mr. Myrdac.

The direct responsibility is now for us, in the aviation community to keep up the pressure. I realise that many, including myself, are concerned about the regulator [casa] focussing on the man, not the game. We individually and as organisations should be concerned. I am aware of direct threats being made in this way [recently] in the past.

I am sure that the Honourable Senators, considering the amount of high quality work that they have done, will be able to recieve individual examples of aviation problems, even though the report is “in”, from those who have done so either for this inquiry or at all in the past.

To have MP’s suggesting that we should put individual matters on the table and “consult’ with casa or atsb, is at the very least naïve, and certainly just plain stupid.

There is no protection at all in these cases and it will place the informant in a difficult situation at that time and into the future.

Can we fix this??

This is the real question.

The answer – YES

In the US, all members and senators are routinely polled as to their attitudes on a series of issues on a routine basis. These are published and made public. Let’s do the same here, but we all must rise to the task.

Must we fix this – YES

For a start, there is an election looming, write to your local member about your concerns and make sure you get a reply and publish it on the site.

It will be worth while being specific:–

Ask the question:

“Following the current Senate investigation what do you intend doing to ensure there will be no repetition of breaches to aviation safety in Australia??”

I can supply e-mail addresses for all members and senators and will publish this list shortly.