PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop the Bullsh1t
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2003, 11:35
slugman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what the moan is here. Pilots will be taken on for a great number of reasons, not all of them relevant to flying. I am not advocating skipping the queue because you know Mr X Y Z, but it happens in all professional industries and ( contentious point coming ) is to an extent is done for a reason. Think of all the jobs you have had in the past, why did you get them ? I’m sure everybody would like to think that they were the most qualified for the job - but come on, is that always true ? Have you got on well with a potential employer from the start, does one of your friends work somewhere and can help your C.V ?

For example if Mr X needs two new recruits which he must get right and minimise risk, he will take recommendations from people he knows/ trusts as to who to fill the job. If you are a known quantity and have the qualifications needed then you are in a better position. I don’t like it anymore that the next person, but I have seen it in operation (not in aviation ) and there is little you can do about it.

But don’t get me wrong - I can image that after all the blood, sweat and tears of funding, training, gaining experience etc that for some one to walk into a job taking a ‘short cut’ is gutting. But if you were that person would you say no to that job ?

I do admit that I am at the beginning of my training and have little experience of the aviation job market. If my post is way off then shout me down, but it doesn’t seem that different to any other industry.

Slug