PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 17th Jun 2013, 20:09
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a big ask.

Master Sarcs presupposes the minister will empower the Senate recommendations made for ATSB and CASA and that change will be honestly embraced. To achieve that noble aim, the bloke (or blokette) who gets the job needs be made of pretty stern stuff, just to withstand the "Yes Minister" blarney, the mind numbing voodoo incantations (dripped over wax effigies) and to foil the dastardly, clandestine 'lobotomy plots'. That's the reason I like the idea of a 'junior' minister, someone like D. Fawcett esq. supported by a couple of attack dogs. Perhaps they could build a 'closed loop' system where things which need to be done, get done honestly, on time and within budget – or else.

For example: t'other day I imposed on P7 aka TOM (thanks mate) to have a look at the PAIN data on past coronial recommendations. When you see the numbers analysed like that, it is truly scary. I won't bore you with miles of data; my peregrinations through first 100 Coronial Recommendations (CR), made in good faith, by various coroners over the last ten years was a remarkable experience. For example: (and a Choccy frog) have a guess at the percentage of CR which were fobbed off by solemn promises that the chances of a repetition of a fatal accident would be reduced by brave, 'new' legislation; I'll give you a clue go beyond 50%. Then have a whack at the percentage of accepted CR and promised changes which have not actually been executed; you'll need to go better than 75% to win that Choccy frog. To end the misery think on this; the only CR that has been fully embraced since Lockhart is the MoU and even that was grabbed in self interest, then twisted and perverted out of any resemblance to the coroners intent.

Before our junior minister for matters aeronautical even mounts the starting blocks, there is a mountain to move, just to make good on broken promises made to honest, innocent coroners and families who expected that in return for lost lives, changes for the better would be made.

Before the most welcome recommendations of the Senate are executed, we need a transparent system which could track, soup to nuts, the implementation of change and ensure the spirit and intent of that change remains unsullied.

Ref 2&3 - The ATSB must first be extricated from the clammy grip of the DoIT executive and learn to stand alone once again. There are clever, talented people hidden beneath the surface dirt and rust who can and probably would willingly return to their previous standard of excellence, given half the chance. I wonder, can they be so fearful of having their rice bowls broken that they dare not speak out?; if so, then it's a hellish way to live a half life.

Last edited by Kharon; 17th Jun 2013 at 22:48. Reason: Hells bells Minnie, look at the time.