PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2013, 18:12
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
- not quite. I was suggesting that just as 'mode confusion' is a well-established derivative of our automotive cockpit, so reversionary modes could be causing confusion when infrequently experienced, and then only when things have 'gone wrong' and commonly (outside the sim) with genuine 'startle factor'.
OK, thanks for clarifying that for me. I agree that a law reversion is "something more" to take into account for the crew, but I believe that the advantages of normal+alternate+direct laws are more important than the disadvantages (including the quite possible but not proven 'mode confusion').

Originally Posted by BOAC
In terms of a 'modification' I would not really know where to start. I suggested a long time ago (PGF) that from my point of view (non-AB) I would have preferred a drop straight into 'Direct' where you know you simply have a basic aeroplane in your hands which, it is hoped, one can fly. Thus none of the (eg) 'divergence' of roll law from pitch law which I understand happens as the laws degrade - all or nothing for me.
I understand your PoV here, but I disagree. I have no personal qualifications necessary to defend "my" point of view, so I'll just quote two of the reasons that have brought me there:
- The existence of alternate laws comes from Airbus studies, so it is a conscious and maturely weighed decision (until proven otherwise).
- We do have exemple where the alternate law was appreciated: I mentioned the book "QF32" written by the Captain (and PIC) of this flight, but for those who do not have a copy, you can read the interview with Captain David Evans (Senior Check Captain at Qantas), who was onboard too. Both have experience on Boeing and Airbus types. Here is a short excerpt:
ASChan: What’s your opinion of the A380’s survivability compared to other types you have flown?

DE: Well I think the Airbus A380 – it’s a testament to the aircraft that we managed to get the aeroplane successfully on to the ground. The fly-by-wire system, albeit with the damage we were in an alternate law, it still was very flyable. Now comparing that to other types I have flown I am sure that Boeing types would have been equally flyable, but they would have been a lot more difficult, I’m sure.
The complete interview is available on a blog hosted by the Royal Aeronautical Society here:
EXCLUSIVE - Qantas QF32 flight from the cockpit | Aerospace | The Royal Aeronautical Society