PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France does a 'Memmingen'.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2013, 13:55
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it had been discussed many years ago and decided that the 'macho right stuff' was not the most desirable in a commercial airliner flight deck. More years ago, operating at Schiphol. Arriving from the south west with duty landing rwy 19L and a gentle SW breeze. F/O flying on a nice VNAV/LNAV path to 6nm finals 19L. Cabin crew given 15mins to landing and all was good with life and the flying world. Being AMS, and wanting to be nice to the locals, both for noise and crews, the APP controller asked if we wanted 06 straight in. It was a clear VMC night and field insight well below the nose. Without consultation the macho F/O said yes and hauled the speed brake from its slumbers and pointed the nose a la Stuka style. Wow, I cried, as I hung from the straps. I think, forcibly, that we stick with plan A. A miffed F/O asked why? It would be alright? No? We'll save 10 mins and all the taxi time.
Well, look at the tailwind: look at the DME and altimeter; look at the perspective of the airfield and your speed; consider the cabin crew who will now lose 10 mins preparation; consider the pax staggering white faced off the a/c after their holiday vowing never to fly with us again; think of explaining to DFO why it went wrong; and think about your command assessment; and think about me having to explain why I let you do it. The answer's No.
There was some reluctance, but acceptance. OK, there were the smarties who used to descend early just incase the straight in was offered; that's OK; it's called planning. It might cost a little fuel if the longer route is required, but there are options. Sometimes I wondered if ATC at some airfields like to play a game, but our friend in Oslo seems to have an admirable duty of care philosophy. There's a time and place for 'expeditious' arrivals, but often tower does not have all the info to hand, e.g. winds, Gnd Speeds, height, a/c performance etc. They are free to offer just as we are free to refuse. I sometimes wonder why an invitation is often perceived to be a request. CALI is a great case in point and let us never forget it. Plan A was safe and relaxed; Plan B was sad. I see too often the new brigade that allow ATC to fly the a/c and not have the nouse to say "no thank you; can we do XYZ."