PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMC Windspeed delay on 737?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2013, 03:46
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worst case I have experienced was a tower report of calm with wind on the ND indicating 28 kts tailwind at 200 RA - the runway was wet.
I have never flown in Africa or dodgy airports in a jet with ND so I can't comment however in 99 perc of airports i have operated to (Europe/ASIA/America),the winds reading are accurate enough,we do all need to be ready for the occasional wind change,increase or decrease,that we are trained and paid for.
A wind of 28 kts at 200 RA could well turn into a mere 5-10 kts TW at threshold Height,the tower wind info may give you a clue of a possible windshear at low level or simply a need to keep a look at your thrust setting/speed when entering this wind change.

What was the wind at 50 ft?
Did you land continue the approach to land?

Use all available sources to determine the actual wind conditions. If in doubt err on the side of safety, and certainly do not blindly follow tower reports.
This I agree especially in limited runway however the company limit of 10 or 15TW is based on tower winds..would you go around because at 200 ft RA you have 5 kts for TW more than you aircraft/SOP ? How would you explain such action?because you dont trust the tower info?

I'd have to agree with Exeng, in certain SE Asian Capitol cities I have found they often give an incorrect wind. It seems they want to keep the runway in use the same because the other end doesn't have an ILS.
Some airports wind readings dont seem to be super accurate but again at airport like beijing,winds direction and speed change all the time from 6000 ft down.
You may have 15 kts tail at 100 ft but 2 to 3 kts cross at 30 ft...

Last edited by de facto; 17th Jun 2013 at 04:22.