PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What action do controllers take if an aircraft declares a pan?
Old 17th Jun 2013, 01:23
Burnie5204

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a general comment whilst discussing emergency actions.

I am both a airport worker and a volunteer emergency services worker.

Despite a 3 week training course (for us) in driving on Blue Lights it is still one of the most dangerous things we do. Many of my colleagues have been seriously injured or even died as a result of collisions whilst driving on blue light runs.

Why do I say this - the more warning that we have, the 'easier' we can take it and the safer our journey will be. Ideally not needing to use 'Blues and Twos' at all.

Please dont do what what of our controllers did - they had nearly 2 hours warning of an aircraft incident inbound and gave RFFS the estimated time but did not sound the Crash Alarm and alert the outside services until the aircraft was descending through FL100.

The aircraft was already on the ground when Local Authority Fire and Ambulance arrived - they had done a 10-15 minute blue light run at massively increased risk to them and other road users for nothing. If they had known sooner that they could 'attend by appointment' then we would have had the full PDA staffing levels met and even been able to have an incident briefing.